C program to check given year is Leap year or Not | Leap year program in C
What is Leap Year :
- A leap year is a year containing one additional day in the month of February (Leap year has 366 days and February month consists 29 days instead of 28).
Formula to Calculate Leap Year :
Generally we all know that, If a year is perfectly divisible by 4 then that year is called as Leap year. But is it correct ?? No. because the years which are divisible by 100 are not leap years , Except the years like 400,800,..( i.e years which are divisible by 400).
If your confused here is the small Algorithm to calculate Leap year .
Algorithm to Calculate Leap Year :
- If the year is evenly divisible by 4, go to step 2. Otherwise, go to step 5.
- If the year is evenly divisible by 100, go to step 3. Otherwise, go to step 4.
- If the year is evenly divisible by 400, go to step 4. Otherwise, go to step 5.
- The year is a leap year (it has 366 days).
- The year is not a leap year (it has 365 days).
This algorithm is saying, if a year is divisible by 4 it is Leap year but we have few conditions those are ( Note : Below two conditions apply only for years like 100,200,300,400,500,…etc)
- if a year is divisible by 100 and 400 then it is Leap Year. ex : 400,800
- if a year is divisible by 100 and not divisible by 400 then it is not Leap year.
Here is the one more algorithm :
if (year is not divisible by 4) then (it is a common year)
if (year is not divisible by 100) then (it is a leap year)
if (year is not divisible by 400) then (it is a common year)
else (it is a leap year)
Hope Now you know what is Leap year and How to calculate the Leap year.
Now we will try to write a C program to that takes one year as Input and it will decides weather it is Leap year or not.
Program : C program to Check given year is Leap year or not :
Related Programs :
- Welcome note program to Sillycodes
- Calculating Student Grade
- C program to Convert Temperature.
- C program to understand type conversation.
- finding Largest of two numbers using conditional operator in C.
- C program to calculate the simple Interest,
- C program to understand Size of Operator
- 100 + More C programs